Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Inspiration Files: Wine Appreciation

There are few greater joys in life than a delicious home-cooked meal paired with a wine you love. Notice, I said you. By that I mean don't exclude the tastes or preferences of your spouse, partner, or guests. After all, part of being a gracious host is to make your guests feel welcome and at home. And nothing says 'mi casa, es su casa' like serving a wine you know they will love.

In this case, I refer to wine scores, points, and reviews. I personally appreciate the 100 pt. system. I see its value as a useful tool for those just learning about wine who perhaps have not yet developed their palate. Conversely, if I'm in a rush and the company I'm hosting likes Italian Chianti's (a wine I don't buy enough of!), I'll trust the opinion of a critic who's palate aligns with my own.

Keep in mind, the score, points or review is the opinion of the wine writer or critic. The number one rule in wine tasting and appreciation is  WINE IS SUBJECTIVE. Yes, I went there. I just all-capped at you on that important point. It is what you think about a wine that matters. I once tasted a $5 bottle I thought was worth $15 and a $250 bottle that I wouldn't have shelled out $20 for. Trust your tastebuds!

Cheers,
j.

Here are a few of my favorites:


Image via kunde.com


Image via charlessmithwines.com


Image via twomey.com


Image via stoneedgefarm.com

2010 Williams Selyem Bacigalupi Vineyard Zinfandel

Image via williamsselyem.com

No comments:

Post a Comment